Thursday, October 4, 2012

Grandma’s Pantry



When I was younger I remember looking into my grandma’s pantry and cupboards and wondered to myself…”how was she going to feed everyone when there seem to be nothing to fix?”  When dinner time came I was amazed to see all the yummy food before me, she seemed to have whipped it up out of thin air…because I did not see any of those yummy things in her pantry or cupboard when I looked inside of it.

That is what you call being a industrious woman in the kitchen!  I now have my own “Grandma’s Pantry”…I have worked hard over the years to get to that point and it has been so rewarding because I can fix just about any good simple recipe in a minutes notice.

With a few important ingredients on hand in my pantry I can fix several healthy fulfilling home cooked meals. 

I don’t buy a lot of convenience food because they tend to be expensive and not very healthy to eat everyday especially if you also like to visit the restaurants once a week.  There are a lot of ingredients in those foods that are NOT HEALTHY at all and you pay in more ways then one when you stock up on convenience foods.  I have learned how to make a lot of the convenience foods from scratch and I store them for future use.  I save a lot of money on my grocery bill by doing this, plus they are healthier this way.

I LOVE TACOS!! It is my favorite food but I do not spend a $1 or whatever the cost is for a packet of taco seasoning.  I make my own homemade taco seasoning with (salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, paprika, dried onions, sugar, oregano, cumin).  I have total control of the taste and salt content of my seasonings.  The best part is I am able to use some of the same ingredients for my Chili Seasonings, Spaghetti Sauce, Seasoning of Meats, Stews, and Soups etc.  I could not do all of that if I was to purchase a taco seasoning packet, I would need to purchase more pre-packaged or pre-made foods to accomplish chili seasoning, spaghetti sauce, stews etc.

So as you can see you get less then what you pay for when you purchase convenience foods.

 I also do not use recipes that require me to purchase an item that I would only use for that specific recipe …ex: Dry Sherry, Hollandaise sauce.  These would not be beneficial to me and my dinner preparations because I would only use them once for that specific recipe.  I fix simple meals and use recipes that use simple ingredients it ensures that my food bill stays low.

With adopting the “Grandma’s Pantry” cooking techniques, I spend less money on my grocery bills and feed a family of 5 for $250 - $400 a month.  I use what I have and I have learned how to substitute certain things with what I have in my pantry.   

I will be posting more information on how to make your grocery bill dollars stretch without having to use coupons to save money.  I will also talk about the possible pitfalls of using coupons in a later post.

You can find out some of the ingredients I keep in my “Grandma’sPantry” by clicking the link.

4 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm Charley from Cooke's Frontier! Thanks for the kind comment :) I have been checking out your blog and I have to tell you that I have a "Grandma's Pantry" too. Amazing all the things I can whip up from those simple, humble ingredients. Have a wonderful day and I hope to chat with you again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Charley, thanks for stopping by my blog! I love having a "Grandma's Pantry" and I am glad to hear that you have one too! It is amazing how many delicious meals you can whip up with a "Grandma's Pantry". I also hope to chat with you again and you have A WONDERFUL & BLESSED WEEKEND my new blogging friend :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, came visiting from "Home Living", I also have a pantry full of goodies that would get us by if we couldn't make it to the shop. I am surprised to find that most people don't have a well stocked pantry and as a result shop far more often. I partly do it because I am lazy and don't like to visit the supermarket that often if I can avoid it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joluise, Thanks for stopping by to my blog...WELCOME! I love my "Grandma's Pantry" it is such a life saver and a comfort to know that with the simple ingredients I have I can create some tasty meals and goodies!

    Hey, you gave me an idea.... I think I may just as well post some pictures of my "Grandma's Pantry" not all my ingredients are in my pantry but it would be cool to see others "Grandma Pantry" as well. I hope you come by and see me again..my new blogging friend! :-)

    ReplyDelete