Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Kitchen Swap It


 
Sometimes a recipe calls for a certain ingredient or item that we may not have on hand.  So, "If not on hand....if you can…. SWAP IT”! 
 
Double Boiler: Is a certain type of pot that allows the water to simmer in the bottom of the pan, without allowing it to touch the top pan; food, such as chocolate or a delicate sauce, sits in the top pan to prevent it from scorching which can occur from direct heat.

The Swap: A glass bowl (that can sustain heat) inside a pot.  Simply add water to the bottom of the pot and place a glass bowl that will fit firmly into the pot but won’t get stuck and does not touch the water in the pan. 

2 comments:

  1. After years of melting chocolate with the glass bowl, I went and bought the top part to my saucepan (which I usually use for steaming vegetables) so I can melt chocolate and make custard. It does make the job much easier. However I found it difficult to buy what I was looking for as they don't make them every often i discovered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joluise, thanks for the input. I use this method and also the method of placing my steamer pan also used as a strainer and place a glass bowl on top of that. Creative ways to get the job done makes cooking and creating so much fun! It's usually a GREAT when you found a way to make something work when you are in a pinch. :-)

    ReplyDelete